Thursday, February 18, 2010

My name is Ashley Gartland and I am an intern with USA Boxing. I can't even begin to summarize everything I have learned and experienced since I started. As soon as I arrived I hit the ground running with immediate responsibility, and after two weeks I was sent to Cincinnati, OH to run the 2010 USA Boxing U-19s National Champions as the USA Boxing Representative. I met so many people and built great relationships, not to mention I was able to learn first hand how to run a USA Boxing qualifier. I really enjoyed planning and executing the event with our major sponsor R & R Promotions out of Cincinnati, they were very helpful in the execution of the event. Below is a picture from ringside...

The only thing I regret is not being there for the last day to see the medal ceremony for the young athletes that qualified for the Youth World Chmapionships. Not to mention being able to see 2 time Olympian Rau’shee Warren fight in a showcased bout. But, as many people have told me, being able to go to Opening Ceremonies is an unbelievable opportunity that I should take. So I did, and I will say it was AMAZING!


Since then I have been working on sending the qualifying athletes to the Youth Worlds in Baku, Azerbaijan in April. While I am managing this process I have been working with our Equipment and Apperal Sponsor, Everlast, to come up with outfitting for Team USA when they compete againt Italy at the end of March and beginning of April. I am also in the process of putting a plan together for improving how we can hold our #1 and #2 athletes accountable so we can provide them better support as a NGB.

As you can tell I have been nothing short of busy since I set foot at the OTC, but I would not have it any other way. The intern class is awesome and I am so happy to be here with them. We have a great group of people, I only wish I could spend more time with them. Everyone likes to have a good time and try new things, such as learning Judo during orientation - which was awesome! I am so happy to have this opportunity to work with an NGB and the USOC. This past month has been unforgettable, I can only imagine how great these next few months and hopfully years will be!

No comments:

Post a Comment