Thursday, February 11, 2010

Life as a Media Relations intern

Hello everyone, my name is Taylor Thomas and I’m one of the two new Media Relations interns for the Olympic Committee. In May 2009, I graduated with a Public Relations degree from Purdue University (Boiler Up!). I moved here from Muncie, Indiana…home of Garfield and David Letterman. I’ve been in Colorado Springs for a month now, and I absolutely love it. Coming from Indiana, I’m used to looking at miles and miles of cornfields. I still can’t believe that everyday when I look out my window, I get to see Pikes Peak. Since being here, I’ve met great friends from all around the country. We’ve gone to a USA Women’s Hockey vs Finland game at the World Arena, hiked Garden of the Gods, spent a weekend in Denver, volunteered for USA Wrestling, and are about to compete in our own Intern Olympics (GO TEAM 2)!



The first weekend we were here, most of the interns went a few miles away to Garden of the Gods. Garden of the Gods is a public park which has numerous trails for hiking, walking, mountain biking, rock climbers, and horseback riding. Interns, Courtney, Megan, and I hiked for about an hour, while taking gorgeous pictures of the red rock as well as Pikes Peak.



Last week, as an intern class, we went to see the USA Women’s Hockey team play in their final scrimmage against Finland. The US team won 5-1! This was my first professional hockey game and I absolutely loved it. Considering I can’t even skate backwards, these women were amazing.

I can’t believe I am working for the United States Olympic Committee. In a short amount of time, I have learned so much since being here. It’s extremely exciting to work for the USOC right now because of the 2010 Vancouver Winter Games. Since I work in media relations, we are very busy dealing with media requests, producing Athlete of the Month nominations, writing scripts for ‘Going for the Gold’ Vodcast videos, and handling fan mail.

Living on the Olympic Training Center is surreal. I would’ve never thought that growing up, I’d be working at the place where ‘amazing awaits’. I’m constantly surrounded by the best of the best athletes which represent our country in competition every four years.

I can’t wait for what the next four months here in Colorado Springs brings. I’m extremely lucky to have this opportunity. I love the group of interns here, and am having so much fun everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment