Thursday, February 11, 2010

Hello from sunny California!

Hey everyone,

My name is Dana Leenheer and I am the Venue Operations Intern at the Chula Vista Olympic Training Center in sunny California. I recently graduated from the University of Michigan with a Bachelors of Arts degree in Sport Management, GO BLUE! I am originally from Grand Rapids, MI. I had never visited California before this internship. The weather here is amazing! It has been in the 60s to 70s and at least partly sunny almost everyday I have been here, except for a brief rain storm one weekend. I guess Ann Arbor, Michigan just received 10 inches of snow over the past couple of days, so I feel like I am in paradise here.



As I said earlier I am the Venue Operations Intern at the CVOTC. I have really enjoyed the experience so far. The internship has changed week to week so it definitely keeps me on my toes. My job entails working with venues, transportation, administration, events, and other areas as needed with my main focus being venues/events. The people I have met here are awesome and I am learning a lot about how the Olympic movement functions and how that relates to how a training center operates.



This past weekend we held the So Cal BMX Nationals here at the training center. This was my first experience working with this sport. I had actually never watched a BMX competition on TV or in person before so this was a chance for me to experience the sport and see what it is all about. I was amazed by the wide range of ages of the participants. There was a 5 year old and under category all the way up to 40 and over!

I love it here in California and would highly recommend this internship to anyone wanting to learn about this area of the sport industry. I feel very lucky and honored to be a part of this program, and I am excited to see what the next 4 months bring!



Dana Leenheer
Venue Operations Intern
Chula Vista OTC

No comments:

Post a Comment