Friday, February 26, 2010

Amazing Awaits is Here!

Hi! My name is Rebecca Johnson and I am the New Media/Journalism intern with the USOC. This has been one of the most exciting and educational experiences of my life! The Vancouver 2010 Olympic Winter Games are coming to a close and life will be getting back to normal soon. During the Olympic Winter Games my department had rotating shifts throughout the day and evening in order to cover all of the events going on. We no longer worked our normal 8am-5pm shift, but rather from 8am-2pm, 2pm-8pm or 8pm-2am. Our team did an amazing job with Teamusa.org! There was so much going on, but we handled all of it, (even technical difficulties) and short staffed too! Before half of our department left for Vancouver, there were six of us to manage Teamusa.org, but during the Olympic Winter Games there were only 3 of us to manage it full time. So during our shifts we were individually and entirely responsible for all of the updates to the site-and believe me, people were watching! We ran everything (breaking news, top stories, team news, in the news, photos, photo galleries, blogs, videos, schedules, results, features, ads, polls and more)!


I have met so many amazing people since coming to work for the USOC! My supervisors are fantastic and I probably have the best coworker of all the interns! Yep, I'm pretty lucky to get to work with Emily Pan. :)

One of the most memorable moments here for me was when I was given the assignment of covering the USA Women's Hockey game against Finland at the World's Arena for Teamusa.org. I got to meet and interact with top reporters and photographers from all over the country. It was such an honor to have the opportunity to interview the players and head coach Mark Johnson. Before coaching the USA Women's Hockey Team, he was the star player for the USA Men's Hockey Team during the Lake Placid 1980 Olympic Winter Games and carried his team to victory over the Soviet Union. He was a key member of the "Miracle on Ice" Team, and I had the honor and privilege of meeting and interviewing him. I will never forget it!

The Intern Olympic Games are starting up tomorrow with Water Polo! We are a lot like the athletes in certain ways-we work hard, but play harder! It will be interesting to see how each of the teams develop their dynamic...

The USOC has a slogan, "Amazing Awaits." Well, 'Amazing' is here and happening now, each and every day. We live it and breathe it. Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think that I would be surrounded by Olympic hopefuls, Olympians and Olympic medalists all day, every day! We live, eat and hang out together. How many people can say that they have ever done that?!

I'm excited for what the future has in store for all of us here after the Olympic Winter Games come to a close and as the Paralympic Winter Games just begin!

Amazing Awaits!

1 comment: