Thursday, October 8, 2009

Living in the Moment

Hi, my name is Vanessa Virbitsky. I was born and raised in Harrisburg, Pa. and received a BA in Journalism (Advertising/Public Relations) and Political Science from the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh where I was on the gymnastics and track-and-field teams. Now, I am working on my MA in Public Relations-Sport Communication at Ball State University in Muncie, Ind. where I worked as the graduate assistant gymnastics coach and will return as a graduate assistant in the Sports Information Department.

Currently, I’m three months into a six month internship in the Media & Public Relations Department at the U.S. Olympic Committee in Colorado Springs, Colo., and I LOVE MY JOB.

Why do I love my job?
  • My walk to the office includes an unobstructed view of Pikes Peak (14,100’)
  • I eat three meals a day in a dining hall whose mission is to provide the highest quality foods for the highest quality performance
  • There is daily mingling with elite-caliber athletes in the dining hall, on the Olympic Path, in the weight room and in the dorms

  • My colleagues and mentors are passionate, energetic and bright individuals who have dedicated their lives to communicating the goals, dreams and ambitions of America’s athletes

  • I am, and always have been, passionate about the vision and ideals of the Olympic Movement

Basically, it’s hard not to smile at the end of a work day, and mainly because I go to sleep knowing I get to do the same thing again tomorrow!

Although it’s difficult to choose the single greatest moment of my internship, one of the best opportunities I’ve had so far was attending the 2010 U.S. Olympic Team Media Summit, Sept. 9-12 in Chicago, Ill. Outside of the Olympic Games, this is the biggest event put on by our department.



The purpose of the Media Summit is to aggregate media, athletes, coaches and USOC spokespeople in the same building, at the same time. This provides a convenient format for all involved and, most importantly, allows Olympic hopefuls to receive media coverage without interrupting their training at the most pivotal point in their careers – right before the Olympic Winter Games. The athletes participate in several media formats, including: press conferences, round tables, photo and broadcast sessions, a special session with Olympic broadcasting sponsor NBC and also lifestyle sessions per request by individual media outlets.

My main Media Summit responsibility was to serve as the Athlete Coordinator and point-of-contact for the special lifestyle sessions with an emphasis on Men’s Journal, Sports Illustrated and USA Today. Other sessions included interviews and photo shoots with the American Heart Association, American Profile, ESPN.com, Last Call with Carson Daly, Nike, Rocketboom, US Weekly, the Weather Channel and Wired Magazine. One of the best photo sessions was with ice dancers and Olympic silver medalists Ben Agosto and Tanith Belbin.



There are no words for the pride I have in knowing I had a part in helping these Olympic hopefuls tell their stories to the American public. Also, you can bet that I am going to be one of the first in line to buy the Olympic editions of SI and Men’s Journal this February!

As for Colorado, it's breathtaking to see the majesty of snow dusted mountains at the end of the summer or mile high peaks rising from the clouds. And it doesn't end there; when I pulled into the city limits for the first time, there was the most beautiful rainbow I have ever seen – a full arch that stretched so big I couldn't fit the whole thing into my camera. It was one of those moments that burns into your memory, freezes you in time and instinctively makes your lips curve upward.



Since receiving my acceptance to this internship program, I’ve had innumerable “freeze moments,” both personally and professionally, and I am grateful for the opportunities this internship has presented and will, undoubtedly, continue to present. For instance, about one month ago, my intern colleague, Nick Olivier, and I were offered the experience of a lifetime. We were invited by our department to serve as Press Officers at the 2010 Olympic Winter Games in Vancouver! Besides THANK YOU, I again have no words – just endless smiles – to describe this opportunity.



It is an honor to work for the U.S. Olympic Committee and, for me, a dream come true.

GO TEAM USA!

No comments:

Post a Comment