Friday, October 23, 2009

Greetings from the West


Andy Carl here, USA Badminton Intern, darn glad to meet you. It’s pretty tough following up all of these great blog posts, and in the fear of being redundant, I’ll try not to overlap any of the happenings that have already been touched upon.

Needless to say, the USOC internship program, thus far, has been an enriching and fulfilling experience. With apologies for sounding cliché, the past month and a half living away from Philadelphia (my adopted hometown) and Reading (my real one) has been both refreshing and enlightening.

The first item that comes to mind when I think of the internship process is the living situation. I feel as though the nostalgic atmosphere that embodies the living quarters and cafeteria take us students back to the days of being bright-eyed freshman. The interactions and closeness that surrounds the entire internship class are valued and comforting.


As for the auxiliary events that bookend our 8am-5pm workdays, I couldn’t have asked for better opportunities. One that really stands out is the National League Divisional Series between the Colorado Rockies (booooo, that’s what we do in Philly) and the 2008 World Series Champion Philadelphia Phillies. I attended Game 3 at a frigid Coors Field with Emily Cox, another intern, as well as Game 4 with interns Adam Andrasko and Meg Coffey. Both games, the Phillies came out of the heart-wrenching scuffle on top, catapulting them to the National League Championship Series against the L.A. Dodgers.

As my fellow interns can attest, I get a bit heated and emotional during games. With the Phillies now advancing to the World Series, they will probably see less and less of me on most week nights as the games are played. However, I have a very supportive class of interns that make the agonizing grind of playoff baseball bearable.

We have a good amount of fun events on the horizon, including the continuation and culmination of the Intern Olympic Games. The games have been a great experience thus far, allowing interns to get involved with sports and Olympians that they probably wouldn’t have the opportunity to otherwise.

I look forward to reading the other intern’s posts, including the recap of great events such as our Thanksgiving cabin trip and other social activities.

Carl. Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment