Thursday, November 12, 2009

Is This Real Life?

Hi! Allow me to introduce myself:


That’s right. I split my time between writing press releases and organizing monster truck rallies for USA Swimming.

I graduated from UC Berkeley last year with a BA in Mass Communications and a minor in Portuguese. I’m currently a graduate student in Intercollegiate Athletic Leadership at the University of Washington. I am the lone Colorado Springs intern from California (!) – hailing from the San Francisco Bay Area to be exact.

As the Communications Intern for USA Swimming, I have been able to write press releases, create media guides, and various other responsibilities that interest the sports information nerd that I am. The most exciting experiences of my internship have resulted from my work with the USA Swimming Foundation’s Make a Splash initiative, which seeks to teach water safety skills to children. I had the opportunity to work at a Make a Splash event in Denver featuring Olympic gold medalist, Cullen Jones. I also interviewed Cullen about his work with Make a Splash and his experiences since the 2008 Olympics for a feature in USA Swimming’s Splash magazine.


The opportunity to move out here and participate in the USOC Internship Program was one that I could not pass up. This year has been full of adventures, and I am excited to be living in Colorado and experiencing everything this internship and the area have to offer. I feel like I try or see something new every week.

One of the most exciting activities for this class of USOC interns has been the Intern Olympics. I can now say that I’ve tried judo, wheelchair basketball, team handball, and fencing. No calls from any national teams yet. I think I’ll hold on to my day job.


I am incredibly grateful to have been given the opportunity to live with all these great interns, interact with elite athletes on a daily basis, and immerse myself in the Olympic movement. I hope you are enjoying the Intern Blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment