Thursday, September 24, 2009

Flying High in Colorado Springs

Hello, my name is Nick Olivier. I’m an intern in the U.S. Olympic Committee Media Relations Department. I eat, sleep and work here at the Olympic Training Center in beautiful Colorado Springs.

The state of Colorado is one big playground. While I’m here, I intend to work hard and immerse myself in the internship. But that doesn’t mean I don’t plan on doing some sightseeing while I’m in the Rockies. So far, I’ve seen some live sporting events with my fellow interns, whether it’s the Colorado Rockies or their Triple-A affiliate in Colorado Springs, the Sky Sox. I’ve already bought tickets for a Denver Broncos game in November but this weekend, me and 23 of my closest friends in the intern program are going to an Air Force football game. We will all caravan to the Academy at 10am Saturday morning to root on the Air Force Falcons as they play the mighty Aztecs of San Diego State University. The game doesn’t start until noon but we plan on getting their when the gates open, two hours prior to kickoff.


You see, all of us interns come from different colleges boasting football programs of all sizes. We all have a favorite team. Personally, I am a graduate of the University of Texas, home of the #2 ranked Longhorns. I am really looking forward to seeing an Air Force game for many reasons. I’m always interested in how other schools and cities celebrate the great institution that is college football. Also, I miss tailgating and watching live football.

Adam, the athlete services intern, called ahead to Air Force Athletics to let them know that the USOC was bringing a big group to the game. As thanks for our support, the Academy will be providing us with free t-shirts and give us some sort of a shout out on the scoreboard. Not bad for $10. Not a bad way to spend a Saturday.

Follow myself, and my fellow interns, here for an inside look at our unique experiences with the United States Olympic Committee this fall.

-Nick

3 comments:

  1. Hello!
    My name is Jocelyn Burgess and I am a Junior at Southern Oregon University looking to try and become an intern for the summer of 2010 and was wondering if you had any tips or things that were really helpful during the application process, even if it was just something that you wished someone had told you before.
    Thanks!
    burgessjo@students.sou.edu

    ReplyDelete
  2. my name is Cory,i have my BS degree in Exercise Science and i'm in grad school for Exercise Physiology. I plan to apply for an internship for the 2010 summer in Strength and conditioning. I understand that is not your field, however if you have any advice that could help me in getting hired that would be sweet. cd.sullivan@hotmail.com Thanks.

    ReplyDelete